In 1837, Green Street Methodist Church was built at 10th and Green Streets, now the site of Simpson Mid-Town. In 1913, the much beloved hymn In The Garden was written by Music Director C. Austin Miles.
The Church was renamed Methodist Memorial Temple in 1947. By 1994, the United Methodist Metro Ministries Property Stewardship determined the church and parish house were deteriorating. At that time, the property at 10th and Green was being leased to tenants by the Mid-Town Parish United Methodist Church at 7th and Norris Streets.
By 1999, the Church had lost its tenants and the Philadelphia Redevelopment Authority advised that partners were needed to redevelop the property at 10th and Green. Simpson Senior Services and Mid-Town Parish submitted a proposal to the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and HUD approved.
Ground was broken for Simpson Mid-Town in November 2004 and the community was dedicated in October of 2005.
Click here for a complete history of Simpson Senior Services.